ushmills Village 

ABOUT BUSHMILLS

                 

                                River Bush and Mills                                      Old Grammer School                                          Old Mill House

Prior to 1820's, Bushmills consisted of a few dwellings situated beside a shallow crossing point on the river Bush. The industrial revolution and the harnessing of water power led to its growth,prior to this the main  population would have been at the town of Dunluce which developed around  castle. The village owes a lot of its development and character to the Macnaghten family. They built many of the prominent buildings in the village including The Market Square, Clock Tower, the Courthouse and  Old National School. The family home of 'Dunderave House' set amongst  woodlands overlooking the village  was built in 1847 and designed by Charles Lanyon.  Regular weekly markets took place in the square, a linen market also opened here in 1833, sadly all now gone. It was also the location where local men, women and children would find employment at the twice yearly Hiring Fairs. Bushmills benefited greatly from the influx of visitors and was well placed to benefit from the growing fame of the Giants Causeway. Local hotels and inns became popular and businesses flourished. The opening of the world's first hydro-electric tramway in 1883 from Portrush to Bushmills with a later extension to the Giants Causeway led to a further boost for the village, it became established as a popular location for Scottish holidaymakers who would fill the town to capacity during the summer months.

   Back   

    Next